Turtles in the Sun

Turtles in the Sun

PDF | Print | E-mail

A tortoise, lazily basking in the sun, complained to the sea-birds of her hard fate, that no one would teach her to fly. An Eagle, hovering near, heard her lamentation and demanded what reward she would give him if he would take her aloft and float her in the air. I will give you, she said, all the riches of the Red Sea. I will teach you to fly then, said the Eagle; and taking her up in his talons he carried her almost to the clouds suddenly he let her go, and she fell on a lofty mountain, dashing her shell to pieces. The tortoise exclaimed in the moment of death: I have deserved my present fate; for what had I to do with wings and clouds, who can with difficulty move about on the earth?' If men had all they wished, they would be often ruined. (Aesop fables)

Busking turtles

Although I knew that there is a Zoological park near Athens, I had never thought of visiting it, not until now. For your information, you can visit their webpage at Attica Zoological Park. I was really surprised by the number of species they keep there as well as the fact that all the animals seem to be in top notch condition. Needless to say, I shot more than 4 GB of pictures during an 8 hour session (two visits, the second one under the falling rain). Right at the entrance there is a pond with turtles which were basking under the sun.  Sun is not very common in January so the turtles used this opportunity to get some UV radiation which they need for their well being. Some of them stayed close to the papyrus plants and others just on the rocks.

Photo by George J. Reclos

Shooting Data:

Camera: Nikon D70
Lens: Tamron SP AF 180 mm f/3.5 Di Macro 1:1
Sensitivity: ISO200
Top photo: Shutter speed - aperture: 1/250 sec - f/9.5, AP mode.
Bottom photo: 1/180 sec - f/9.5, AP mode
Flash: None
Image: NEF file, processed in Photoshop CS, unsharp mask filter, resized and saved as JPEG.

The T- day (Chrysemys scripta elegans; common name: red ear slider)

This photo was entitled "T-day" where "T" stands for "turtle". The impression I had when I saw this scene was that of an invasion (like the one in Normandy) with some of them already landed while the rest of the "fleet" awaits its turn.

Photo by George J. Reclos

Shooting Data:

Camera: Nikon D2X
Lens: Tamron SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di Macro 1:1
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Shutter speed - aperture: 1/250 sec - f/11, Aperture priority mode
Flash: SB-800 in i-TTL mode
Image: JPEG edited in Photoshop CS2, levels adjusted, USM added and resized. Photos taken at the Attica Zoological Park  

These photos belong to MCH Portal and cannot be reproduced without the written permission of the This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .